Thursday, May 11, 2023

May and June Radio Shows

In May and June I did three shows on KOOP, one on Pearl's General Store and two on The Lonesome Stranger:


5/5/23 Pearl's General Store

This was a fun show. I started with some duets from Gram and Emmylou and Johnny and June, then played First Aid Kit's fantastic song Emmylou, which namechecks all of them. Lots of Don Williams, some Merle, some Cojo, and Tex-Mex from both the Tiarras and Selena for Cinco de Mayo. In the second hour I had a great set of Miranda Lambert, some local Austin women, music from Crazy Heart, and ended with the Clint Black classic A Better Man.


5/11/23 The Lonesome Stranger

I had a co-host, Saint Annie, who is apprenticing with KOOP, for part of the show. She was fantastic and the music she played, Wilco, the Nude Party, Neko Case and others definitely complemented the music I played. I started with Jason Isbell, who is in town this week, had two women singers in Cover Me, played some Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, and then a lot of Bruce Robison's songs including some of his Next Waltz projects. The show finished with a shout out to the Big Squeeze, Texas Folklife's youth accordion contest, and then some Red Dirt music from Oklahomans Cross Canadian Ragweed, Turnpike Troubadours and Jimmy LaFave.


6/15/23 The Lonesome Stranger

This was the week Jason Isbell released Weathervanes as well as the 10th anniversary of Southeastern so I played songs from both albums. Then Mary Beth, a new apprentice, came on and played a few sets including Blaze Foley's Clay Pigeons, which John Prine covered. For Pride Month I played songs from Brandy Clark, Brothers Osborne and Allison Russell. I played a few songs from the new album of country Stones covers, Stoned Cold Country, had Grammy winners for both song and performance in Cover Me, and played a bunch of Texas country songs. I did a set of songs (Alabama Pines, My Tennessee Mountain Home and What I Like About Texas) that illustrate why a sense of place is so important to me in southern music, and finished with Anniversary Song for my wife Leslie!

No comments:

Post a Comment